Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Challenged by The Joy of the Gospel

I have been reading Pope Francis’ Joy of the Gospel.  I wish I had read it a year ago. If you haven’t read it yet, I highly recommend it. You can find it at the Vatican website. If you are the type that prefers to read an actual book, you can order it from Amazon or other retailers. For a papal document it is fairly easy to read.

The pope has been pretty good at making us feel good, but if we are really listening he is challenging us too. He should be making us a little uncomfortable. I am only about a third of the way into the text and the pope has already motivated me to change a few things.

First, I have started journaling again. The reason I journal is to hold myself accountable for how I pray and how my prayer affects the way I live out my vocation as a husband, father, and teacher.

Secondly, he challenges the way I and everyone looks at our free time. Am I so worried about “free time” that I use it as an excuse to be stingy or selfish with my time? Do I use it as an excuse not to do more at my parish or even play with my kids?

Finally, I am challenged once again to be patient with the plan God has for me, my family, his Church, and the world. I need to do my part, but that doesn't mean I get to decide what my part is.

I don’t doubt I will have more to say as I read further. If you happen to read it let me know what your “take aways” have been.

No comments:

Post a Comment